I don’t want to be just Arm Candy: Sonam Kapoor

Sonam Kapoor is all for getting into the commercial groove after doing off-beat films and says she won’t mind playing Lara Dutta’s role in “No Entry” or Priyanka Chopra’s character in “Dostana”. But she is clear that she doesn’t want to be seen as just “arm candy” in song and dance sequences.

http://bollywood.celebden.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/sonam.jpg

“I’m all game for doing movies that are set in commercial parlance,” said Sonam, who is choosing her projects carefully.

“It’s a misconception that after films like ‘Saawariya’ and ‘Delhi-6′, I’m only looking at films with serious overtones. All I look for is meat in my role.”

“See, I have never looked down upon hardcore commercial cinema. It’s just that I never wish to be an arm candy who does four songs, a couple of scenes and then vanishes away from screen. Those are not at all the kind of roles that excite me,” added Sonam, who will be seen in her father Anil Kapoor’s home production titled “Ayesha”.

The 23-year-old may have suffered two box office failures in the “Delhi-6″ and “Saawariya”, but that hasn’t hampered her passion for movies.

“Give me a meaningful role and I will do it even if it is hardcore commercial. Who says Bollywood masala movies do not have good roles for heroines? Look at what Lara Dutta did in ‘No Entry’. Now that’s a kind of role that I certainly don’t mind doing,” she said.

Any other reference points?

“Priyanka Chopra’s role in ‘Dostana’,” she said promptly. “She was so good in the movie and the character was extremely well-written as well.”

Incidentally, Lara had played Anil’s wife in “No Entry” while Sonam’s “Delhi-6″ co-star Abhishek Bachchan was seen with Priyanka in “Dostana”.

Mumbai, April 30 (IANS)