Preity Zinta's nominated



Preity Zinta nominated for the 29th Genie Awards for her performance in Heaven on Earth

Preity Zinta is carving a niche for

herself globally. After winning the Best Actress Award at the Chicago Film Festival last year for her portrayal of a battered Punjabi wife in Deepa Mehta’s Heaven on Earth, Preity has now earned a nomination at the 29th Genie Awards.

She has been nominated under the category, ‘Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role’. What makes this nomination even more special is that Preity is the first Indian actress to have earned this nomination. The Awards will be held on April 4 at Ottawa in Canada.
The Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television (ACCT) announced the nominations recently. This year, other nominees in the same category are Susan Sarandon for Emotional Arithmetic, Marianne Fortier for Mommy is at the Hairdresser’s, Ellen Burstyn for The Stone Angel and Isabelle Blais for Borderline.
The call from the official representatives of the 29th Genie Awards informing about her nomination caught Preity off guard. A source close to the actress said, “The news took Preity by surprise. She is delighted.”
On a high after being nominated, Preity said, “I am super excited. I have crossed my fingers and toes and everything else. I cannot stop smiling as Susan Sarandon and Ellen Burstyn have been nominated under the same category as me. They both are Oscar winners. It is an absolute honour for me to find myself amidst such achievers. I cannot stop thanking Deepa (Mehta) for making me part of Heaven on Earth.”