I’m no pompom girl: Shilpa Shetty

/photo.cms?msid=4088468

Now that you are part-owner of the Rajasthan Royals what plans do you have for the team?
Shilpa Shetty: If you're asking me this to find out how keenly I'm interested in this new venture then let me tell you I'm hands on into it. When Raj Kundra and and I decided to take the plunge into the IPL, we did it with our eyes open and after much deliberation. In hindsight, it appears uncanny because among all the IPL teams I've always felt the most connected with the Rajasthan Royals.

What would your contribution to the team be?
Shilpa Shetty: Well I am not going to bullshit myself into believing I've been brought in for my business acumen. The team had it all. They needed the glamour quotient and for that I am here. But please, I am not going to be one of the pom-pom girls on the field, if that's what the spectators expect. I'm certainly not going to be the eye candy of the venture.

/photo.cms?msid=4088475

So where will your glamour quotient come in?
Shilpa Shetty: In the music video, to begin with. Our next move is to shoot a music video. We want it to be the slickest and the best. Of course, I'll be in it. Isn't that a given? I've so many commitments in the coming months including my two films; Sunny Deol's "The Man" and R. Sarath's "Desire" to complete. I'm not signing films crazily. So I can devote the time I want for the IPL.

So you're ready to bounce again?
Shilpa Shetty: (Laughs) You could say that. Doing it for my own venture would be a pleasure.

/photo.cms?msid=4088483

Will Raj direct the music video?
Shilpa Shetty: Ah, that would be telling. Let's see. Raj is a crazy cricket fan. And why shouldn't he be? He's an Indian who lives in England. All Indian men are crazy about cricket. And everyone knows cricket was born in England. So Raj has a double reason to buy a part of the IPL.

What about you?
Shilpa Shetty: I love cricket. I've inherited it from my father who's the craziest cricket fan I've ever met. The Rajasthan Royals is my gift to my father.

/photo.cms?msid=4088489

I thought it was Raj's Valentine gift for you?
Shilpa Shetty: Please! I'm sure there're other gifts awaiting me for Valentine's Day.

Like a marriage proposal?
Shilpa Shetty: That's mine for the asking anytime. Now that Raj is shifting business interests in India we just need to find the right moment to take the plunge.

The Bollywood-cricket merger seems to be expanding?
Shilpa Shetty: It had to be that way. Shah Rukh Khan and then Preity Zinta went for the IPL. For me, the right moment to do so was when Raj was ready for it. Now I must make sure I've enough time to devote to the Rajasthan Royals. I'll be there for their first match in March and all subsequent matches. Yeh mera vada hai (I promise that).