Dhoni is all candour and humour

Disarming candour and humour were the intrinsic features of M.S. Dhoni’s interaction with the media here on Wednesday night.

After scoring 124 to ambush the Aussies in the second ODI of the Hero Honda Cup seven-match series here, Dhoni, when asked about his ‘special’ innings, said: “It is not that I have scored many centuries so I will keep all of them in my memory.

“It was a good innings but it was a team effort and not just about me. When I went in the run-rate was good and even if scored at five an over we would have had a good base,” Dhoni said.

Dhoni said that even he would have opted to field first if he had won the toss. “Dew was a factor and with spinners in my attack even I would have fielded first. I am happy with the way all the bowlers performed.

“Harbhajan bowled two bad overs but after that he did get his lines right and he is slowly getting there. Ishant is bowling with rhythm and his pace has gone up,” Dhoni said.
Fine innings

Meanwhile Ricky Ponting said that the Indian batsmen were too good and that Dhoni played a fine innings. “We reasoned about the dew factor and the fact that we were missing a bowler like Brett Lee so we decided to back our batsmen and opted to chase.

“Didn’t work out the way I expected though,” Ponting said and admitted that he missed a bowler like Glenn McGrath to bowl in the death. “Today was an opportunity for your younger players to step up and perform. I am sure they will learn along the way,” Ponting said.

Meannwhile, wicket-keeper Tim Paine will fly back home after suffering a broken finger here on Wednesday. “Paine has broken a finger and he will fly out immediately. Because of the different time zones we are unable to get in touch with our selectors back home though we do have David Boon here with us.

“I am sure we will get a replacement in time for the Delhi match (October 31),” said Ponting.