Sanju's definitely closer to me: Amar Singh

In an industry where you are known by the clique you belong to, it wasn't surpising that at a sombre gathering for Feroz Khan's prayer meeting, B-Town folks noticed and discussed that Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh made an entry and exit with Sanjay Dutt, and not Amitabh Bachchan.

http://mid-day.com/imagedata/2009/may/sanju-amar1.jpg

Until now, the politician has been seen at filmi dos only at the Big B's side, so naturally, it became a talking point. Amitabh, came to the venue with wife Jaya, son Abhishek and bahu Aishwarya.

Changing sides?

Last year, the Big B came with Amar Singh to the book release function of Sanjay, Priya and Namrata Dutt's parents: Sunil and Nargis Dutt. Now, Sanjay is being accompanied to most events by Singh. Says a source, "After the prayer meeting, Singh went with Jaya to Bachchan's home; but now, it's Sanju first and Bachchan later."

The source says it's natural for Singh to get close to Dutt as the actor has been campaigning for him and his party (SP) over the last two months for the elections. "Apart from the fact that Sanju knows Amar Singh for the last 14 years they have become emotionally close in the last couple of months. Earlier when Singh used to come to Mumbai, he would head first to Bachchan's Juhu home but now he goes to Sanju's Bandra home first, spends some time with Sanju and Maanayata and then goes to meet Bachchan."

Amitji is family

Amar Singh refutes the fact that he's become closer to Dutt. "Amitji (Amitabh Bachchan) is my family and my elder brother. He's not a commodity to be chased after. Sanju is definitely closer to me politically than Amitji because he's my party's general secretary and has campaigned hard during the elections. He could have got an escape route when he wasn't allowed to contest but he chose to serve with dignity. Amitji is apolitical. He doesn't like politics. If you ask me, then I will say that Amitji can never be replaced in my personal life. He's the head of my family."

Singh continues, "When I go to Mumbai I stay in Amitji's home. I am the only Amar Singh who shares his bedroom. I am politically equally close to Jaya and Sanju though I am more comfortable with Sanju as he's a guy. I know Sanju for the last 15 years and if today, I am closer to him it's because he's stood beside me like a rock during the elections like my younger brother. But that doesn't mean that Amitji has not been with me. It's absurd to compare the two relationships."

About Feroz Khan's prayer meeting, Singh says, "I had no plans to go there but Sanju was with me campaigning and while boarding the plane he asked me to come along. It was all last-minute, but now because I went with him that visit has become a point of discussion."